Engineering is the branch of science and technology which deals with the design, building, and use of engines, machines, and structures. It combines the fields of science and math’s to solve real world problems that improve the world around us. Some of its use in everyday life are roads and bridges, vehicles, computers, airplane, metro, ship and other electronic devices.Engineering is a very popular course after 12th in India. Engineering colleges are defined by two category first is state level and second is national level. According to several estimates, India trains around 1.5 million or 15 Lakh engineers in India, which is more than the US and China combined. Two main industries hiring engineers are (IT) Information Technology and Manufacturing. After passing out intermediate exam, students start preparation of entrance exam of Engineering. Many students take coaching and tuitions to get best rank in exams.
Duration of Engineering course is 4 years for BTech. /B.E. and 2 years for MTech. Important Engineering departments are:
1. Mechanical engineering– It applies the principles of engineering, physics and materials science for analysis, design, manufacturing, and maintenance of mechanical systems.
2. Electrical engineering– It deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism.
3. Civil engineering– It deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of roads, bridges, canals, dams, buildings etc.
4. Computer Science & Engineering– It integrates fields of electrical engineering and computer science required to develop computer hardware and software
5. Electronics & Communication Engineering– In this field, non-linear and active electrical components such as electron tubes, and semiconductor devices, especially transistors, diodes and integrated circuits, are utilized to design electronic circuits, devices and systems.
6. Chemical Engineering– It applies the natural sciences and life sciences together with mathematics and economics to production, transformation, transportation and proper usage of chemicals, materials and energy.
List of engineering entrance examinations in India are:
1. All India Engineering Entrance Exams (AIEEE) – The All India Engineering Entrance Examination (AIEEE) which is an exam organized by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) in India. Students qualifying this exam get admitted to NITs (National Institute of Technology) and other important colleges.
2. Indian Institute of Technology Joint Entrance Examination (IIT-JEE) – It was started in 1960. This is the one of the most important exam for engineering aspirants organized every year by one of the IITs. Students qualifying this exam get admitted to IITs.
3. Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE)– This exam tests the comprehensive understanding of students in field of science & technology. This exam is essential for pursuing MTech. And admission into PSUs. It is conducted every year by IITs & Indian Institute of Science.
4. Birla Institute of Technology (BITS)– Since 2005 admission to BITS is offered on basis of performance on the all-India Entrance Examination, the BITS Admission Test (BITSAT). It has got campus in Pilani, Goa & Hyderabad.
5. DTU (Delhi Technological University)– Admission is through the JEE MAINS from 2013 conducted by the Central Board of Secondary Education. 85% of the seats are reserved for students from National Capital Territory of Delhi. The remaining 15% seats are for candidates from outside the Delhi region on the basis of IIT JEE rank merit.
6. WB-JEE (West Bengal Joint Entrance Examinations Board)– The West Bengal Joint Entrance Examinations Board (WBJEEB), Kolkata conducts the West Bengal Joint Entrance Examination for admission to undergraduate Engineering, Technology, Pharmacy and Architecture courses in West Bengal.
7. Jamia Millia Islamia University Engg Entrance Exam– It is conducted by the Jamia Milia Islamia for providing admissions to the eligible candidates for various courses in engineering offered by the university.
8. UPTU (Uttar Pradesh Technical University)– It was established on 8 May 2000. It has 800 colleges affiliated to it. It is the biggest technical university in Asia. Entrance exam is conducted every year by IET Lucknow. It has got highest number of engineers passing out every year in India.
9. Vellore Institute of Technology Engg Entrance Exam (VITEEE) – It is organized by Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT) for admission to BTech Programmes .
10. KIIT (Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology) – It was established in 2004. It is the youngest institute to get university status in India.
11. Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University (GGSIPU) – It was founded in 1998. About 120 colleges are affiliated to it in Delhi-NCR.
12. OJEE (Odisha Joint Entrance Exam) – It is state-government controlled centralised test for admission to medical, engineering & management institutions in Odisha.
13. RPET (Rajasthan Pre Engineering Test) – It is the test being conducted for the entrance in BTech. Programs of the Engineering Colleges of the Rajasthan.
14. COMEDK-UGET (Consortium of Medical, Engineering and Dental Colleges of Karnataka) – This test facilitates admissions to Undergraduate and postgraduate courses offered by Medical, Dental and Engineering Colleges.