How to Prepare for XAT
The Xavier Labour Relations Institute (XLRI) conducts the Xavier Aptitude Test (XAT) at an all-India level, and every year, for aspirants who want to pursue management programs. XLRI is counted among India’s premier business management schools and is based at Jamshedpur in Jharkhand. Also, the Institution offers a range of graduate and postgraduate programs in the management field.
XAT scores are considered by the Xavier Group of Industries, and many other business schools, as part of their admission procedure for their management courses.
As per XAT’s eligibility norms, the aspirants should secure a Bachelor’s degree from recognized educational boards. More so, applicants who are awaiting their graduation results are eligible for XAT.
The XAT examination lasts for 3 hours and is conducted via offline mode. Ideally, the aspiring candidates should start their preparation 6-8 months before appearing for the exam.
The XAT exam consists of two papers that are Paper-I and Paper-II.<
Part-I has sections on Decision Making, Verbal & Logical Ability, and Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation. Also, the questions are objective ones, having multiple options with only one correct answer.
Part-II contains the Essay & General Awareness section, with subjective questions.
Note that for incorrect answers, marks are deducted in the exam.
XAT: Preparation Tips
- Pay attention to all sections because the exam is highly challenging. The first step is to become well-versed with the syllabus and draft your study schedule while allotting adequate time for all sections.
- Take measures to improve your English vocabulary. Read magazines, newspapers, books, and editorials to learn new words and become proficient in English. Also, learn the basics of English grammar. To remain updated on current affairs, you must browse the Internet and watch news channels as well.
- Make sure to get enough practice by solving past years’ question papers and mock tests after completing the exam syllabus. Also, avail the customized XAT question banks to further hone your problem-solving skills.
- Enroll in coaching courses if needed. However, choose a coaching institute only after careful research. Coaching institutes conduct mock tests and group discussions that can help to improve your performance.
- Develop your Maths skills. For the same, the candidates should learn the fundamental concepts of Mathematics and solve problems regularly. After studying the concepts, apply the traditional methods to solve problems. At a later stage, after getting enough practice, use shortcuts to save on time.
- Reach the exam hall on the exam date well in advance. Moreover, stay calm and do not get nervous. Avoid taking stress too.
- Avoid guesswork as much as possible. Keep in mind that the exam has negative marking and marks are deducted for incorrect answers, thus do not apply guesswork. Instead, try to eliminate the less probable choices via the process of elimination (PoE) if not sure about the correct answers.
- Developing time management skills is important too. However, you can try to solve the easier ones before moving on to the difficult ones to save time. Also, for the first few minutes after receiving the exam paper, only read through.
- Thoroughly read the questions because they can be confusing. Also, understand the questions before solving them. After completing the paper, go through your answers again if you have time.