The Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) that comes under the Government of India (GoI) has introduced the Study Webs of Active Learning for Young Aspiring Minds (SWAYAM). Aspiring candidates from 9th standard until the postgraduate level can benefit from digital learning via this portal. However, they have to first register on the SWAYAM PORTAL for accessing the online resources.
A digital learning platform, SWAYAM offers students a variety of e-learning courses and certifications. Using SWAYAM, pupils can continue with their studies, without having to rely on external physical education infrastructure.
Moreover, through SWAYAM, students can interact with teachers for resolving their doubts by attending the classes. They can pursue courses in different streams via this portal. These include Architecture, Management, Engineering, Law, among others.
The SWAYAM e-learning portal helps pupils to continue with their studies during the Covid-19 outbreak when educational institutions are closed indefinitely.
SWAYAM: a Brief
A free and interactive medium, SWAYAM offers a host of educational material. Also, through this medium, students can attend lectures hosted by expert faculty members. By attending the online and certification SWAYAM courses, the students can increase their employability.
As per the SWAYAM database, over 1000 faculty members have registered; and they are imparting education to more than 12 lakh registered students.
When students miss out on attending classes, they can rely on SWAYAM for all their learning needs. This e-learning portal is a storehouse of educational resources. These include quizzes, self-assessment tests, reading material, and video lectures.
More so, SWAYAM is user-friendly and students who enroll can access all the required learning material online. However, they require internet connections to use the online resources.
SWAYAM: Education Partners
SWAYAM has tie-ups with the following nine coordinating bodies for delivering quality content to the users:
- All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) offers self-paced and international courses
- National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning (NPTEL) provides Engineering courses
- University Grants Commission (UGC) conducts non-technical post-graduation courses
- Consortium for Educational Communication (CEC) specializes in undergraduate-level programs
- National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) hosts school-based courses
- National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS) imparts school education
- Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) for students who cannot attend schools
- Indian Institute of Management of Bangalore (IIMB) for Management-oriented programs
- National Institute of Technical Teachers Training and Research (NITTTR) for delivering Teacher Training programs
SWAYAM is a free-of-cost digital learning platform. As such, students can avail the benefit of free delivery of online courses via this digital learning medium.
Even so, if any candidate wants to gain certification in any given course, then they have to register for the stipulated courses and pay the applicable fee. Plus, they should appear for the proctored exams.
The examinations for the SWAYAM online courses are held at designated centers as declared by the concerned authorities.
SWAYAM: how to pursue the online courses?
Refer to the following steps to know how to enrol for the SWAYAM online classes:
- Browse the swayam.gov.in/explorer
- Here, the system offers two options: Upcoming courses and Ongoing ones
- Enrolment for the Upcoming Courses is open
- Click on the courses that you want to apply to
- Follow by selecting the ‘JOIN’ link of the related course
- Enter the requisite details and start learning
The portal contains all details of the listed courses. The aspirants should read all the details before applying. Besides, SWAYAM courses are conducted for durations ranging from 4 weeks to 24 weeks. Aspiring candidates have to, also, choose the exam date during the course registration process
SWAYAM: Course Specializations
The various specializations that are available via the SWAYAM portal are as follows:
- Humanities & Arts
- Architecture & Planning
- AICET-NITTT course
- Engineering & Technology
- Annual Refresher Program in Teaching (ARPIT)
- Maths & Science
- Management & Commerce